- This event has passed.
OOI Regional Scale Nodes Science Workshop
October 5, 2011 - October 7, 2011
We are writing to let you know of an important community workshop, “Science Planning for the OOI Regional Scale Node at Axial Seamount”, to be held Oct 5-7 in Seattle. There have been many developments since the science community last gathered to discuss plans for the cabled observatory on the Juan de Fuca ridge. This is your opportunity to learn about the research opportunities of OOI-RSN and provide ideas for how to maximize the scientific return on this important investment in research infrastructure. The workshop is sponsored by NSF and NOAA/PMEL, with additional support from the RSN Implementing Organization (IO) at the University of Washington.
Our goals for this workshop are to inform, involve, and prepare the scientific community for the RSN. Discussion themes will include:
- Interdisciplinary science background and future opportunities at Axial Seamount
- RSN sensor network design and installation timeline
- Optimization of sensor locations and experiments
- Cyber-infrastructure: how to access and use RSN data
- RSN data products and displays for interdisciplinary science and outreach
- Event response in the cabled observatory context
- Role of non-cabled science
- Interaction of RSN with other regional and global programs
Across all of these subjects, we are seeking a community-wide dialog between the RSN Implementing Organizations, Cyber-Infrastructure, funding agencies, and a broad representation of scientists to discuss how we can best prepare to produce transformative, interdisciplinary science. This is your chance both to learn and to let your voice be heard.