Disclaimer: All data are subject to revision without notice; exact locations of mooring sites are not yet finalized; exact depths of sensors will be determined at the time of deployment.
Location and Sampling
- 60°N, 39°W
Approximate Water Depth:
- 2,800 meters
Glider sampling area (approximate):
- Within/between the triangular mooring configuration with sides ~20 km long.
Description of Infrastructure
- One Global Surface Mooring, with battery, wind and solar powered buoy and satellite telemetry
- One Global Profiler mooring with one wire-following profiler
- Two Flanking Moorings with fixed sensors and acoustic communications to gliders
- Three Open-Ocean Gliders with extended endurance and acoustic communications that fly within and between the mooring array
- Two Profiling Open-Ocean gliders that sample the upper water column near the Global Profiler Mooring
The global component of the OOI design includes a network of moorings at critical, yet under sampled, high-latitude locations such as within the Argentine Basin in the South Atlantic. Moorings located in the Argentine Basin will support sensors for measurement of air-sea fluxes of heat, moisture and momentum, and physical, biological and chemical properties throughout the water column. The array will have a combination of fixed platforms (moorings) with moored profilers to address the requirement to sample the full water column and mobile platforms (gliders) that will provide simultaneous spatial and temporal sampling capabilities. The array will be composed of a Surface Mooring containing fixed instruments situated on the buoy and through the top 1500 m of the water column. A subsurface Global Profiler Mooring made up of one wire-following profiler operating from ~240 m to 2400 m. Two Flanking Moorings will be deployed to form a triangular array ~20 km on a side. These flanking Moorings have their uppermost flotation at ~40 m depth and instruments at discrete depths along the mooring line. Open-Ocean Gliders will be equipped with acoustic modems to relay data from the Flanking Moorings to shore via satellite telemetry. Some gliders will sample within and around the triangular array, while others will sample the upper water column near the Global Profiler Mooring. These gliders will carry sensor suites (see below) with the capability to alter sampling rates during a mission.
Irminger Sea Deployment Schedule
Click the below links for individual Instrument Tables
Click the below links for High-Level Technical Drawings
|« Back to the OOI Station Map|