The Horizontal Electric Field, Pressure and Inverted Echo Sounder (HPIES) is an instrument that utilizes a bottom pressure sensor, an inverted echosounder and a horizontal electrometer to provide insights into the vertical structure of current fields, near-bottom water currents, and water properties including temperature, salinity, and specific volume anomalies.
This instrument measures the following data products. Select a data product's name to learn more.
- Vertically Averaged Horizontal Water Velocity (VAHWV) (IESAHWV)
- Water Column Heat Content (IESHEAT)
- Bottom Pressure (IESPRES)
- Roundtrip Acoustic Travel Time (RATT) (IESRATT)
- Horizontal Electric Fields (IES_HEF)
- Water Property Profile Time Series (IES_WPP)
Instrument Models & Deployed Locations
The OOI includes the following instrument makes and models for this instrument type. Follow the links below to find out where in the OOI this instrument has been deployed. You'll also find quick links for each instrument to Data portal, where you can plot and access data.
|HPIESA||Sanford, UW||cabled HPIES|
Primary Science Discipline
HPIES on the Data Portal