The Bulk Meteorology Instrument Package measures a variety of parameters that characterize weather conditions above the sea surface, including the data required to compute air-sea fluxes of heat, freshwater, and momentum. There are two data streams from this instrument: one for Level 1 (L1) surface meteorology data products (Relative Humidity, Air Temperature, Barometric Pressure, Mean Wind Velocity, Precipitation, Downwelling Shortwave Irradiance, Downwelling Longwave Irradiance, Sea Surface Conductivity, and Sea Surface Temperature), and one for Level 2 (L2) Bulk Flux products computed from the L1 data observations. The air-sea flux of heat is the sum of five separate heat fluxes: latent heat flux, sensible heat flux, net shortwave radiative heat flux, net longwave radiative heat flux, and rain heat flux. The air-sea flux of freshwater is the difference between rain and evaporation. The air-sea flux of momentum is the vertical transfer of horizontal momentum from the air to the ocean and is also called the wind stress.
This instrument measures the following data products. Select a data product's name to learn more.
- Barometric Pressure (BARPRES) DPS
- Sea Surface Conductivity (CONDSRF) DPS
- Freshwater Flux (FRSHFLX) DPS
- Net Heat Flux (HEATFLX)
- Latent Heat Flux (LATNFLX)
- Downwelling Longwave Irradiance (LONGIRR)
- Momentum Flux (Wind Stress) (MOMMFLX)
- Net Longwave Irradiance (NETLIRR)
- Net Shortwave Irradiance (NETSIRR)
- Precipitation (PRECIPM)
- Rain Heat Flux (RAINFLX) DPS
- Rain rate (RAINRTE)
- Relative Humidity (RELHUMI)
- Sea Surface Salinity (SALSURF)
- Sensible Heat Flux (SENSFLX)
- Downwelling Shortwave Irradiance (SHRTIRR)
- Specific Humidity (SPECHUM)
- Specific Humidity at 2 m (SPHUM2M)
- Air Temperature at 2 m (TEMPA2M)
- Air Temperature (TEMPAIR)
- Sea Surface Temperature (TEMPSRF)
- Wind Velocity at 10 m (WIND10M)
- Mean Wind Velocity (WINDAVG)
The algorithm code used to generate this instrument's data products is also available in the ion-functions GitHub repository.
Instrument Models & Deployed Locations
The OOI includes the following instrument makes and models for this instrument type. Follow the links below to find out where in the OOI this instrument has been deployed. You'll also find quick links for each instrument to Data portal, where you can plot and access data.
Primary Science Discipline