A Spectrophotometer measures optical attenuation and absorption by characterizing the way seawater absorbs and scatters light. These combined measurements indicate sample turbidity. Optical absorption and attenuation instruments, like the WET Labs AC-S instrument used by OOI, allow total scattering to be derived for living and detrital particles in the ocean.
This instrument measures the following data products. Select a data product's name to learn more.
- Optical Absorption Coefficient (OPTABSN) DPS
- Reference Absorption (OPTAREF)
- Signal Absorption (OPTASIG)
- Optical Beam Attenuation Coefficient (OPTATTN) DPS
- Reference Beam Attenuation (OPTCREF)
- Signal Beam Attenuation (OPTCSIG)
- Temperature from OPTAA (OPTTEMP)
The algorithm code used to generate this instrument's data products is also available in the ion-functions GitHub repository.
Instrument Models & Deployed Locations
The OOI includes the following instrument makes and models for this instrument type. Follow the links below to find out where in the OOI this instrument has been deployed. You'll also find quick links for each instrument to Data portal, where you can plot and access data.
|OPTAAC||WET Labs||AC-S Deep|
Primary Science Discipline